And the war with Ghengis YAAAARGH is over. It died due to non-payment of the CONCORD bribe. A most dis-satisfying war. Let's go over the sequence of events:
1) One of my pilots learns that concord will kill your ship if you pod kill someone you're not at war with in high-sec.
2) We do the POS bash thing in the grotto (and learn that Cruise Missile Batteries are FAIL).
3) We get a wardec from a 4 char corp with a rather young CEO (note: this costs 50mil isk since we are an alliance).
4) Right before the war goes live I get the usual extortion attempt (right, I've got more PvP'ers than indies and the indies are mostly in wormholes so they have been getting their PvP on for the last 6 months and are best described as carebears that no longer care) (oh and please list the 17 newbies we're supposed to have... twit) (and the story keeps changing depending on who he's talking to - Goon trained - being paid to wardec us etc....)
5) From what I can determine the initial engagement(s) go as follows: He kills 1 barge (set out as bait) and gets killed in turn 4 times. (figure the barge was what? 8-10mil and he lost 1-1.5mil flying frigates).
6) Further encounters involve him logging in, running and logging out. Figure we spent 2-3 mil in locator agents.
7) The wardec elapses with a whimper.
So in the end he spent about 51.5mil (estimate) and we "spent" 10-13mil (estimate). This did not significantly interrupt our operations. Heck our boys have more problems when a wormhole ends up in a high sec island and they have to traverse low sec for a few jumps to get something done.
At this point I'm going to assume the was simply trying the "extort/scam" thing against our alliance and failed miserably.