Ah, EVE, you are such a controversial game. There are a metric tonne of people weighing in (we're in space so microgravity conditions apply - parse my meaning now you semantic dominatrices) on the issues of the Captains Quarters. From the ecstatic to the horribly, horribly disappointed. Mostly the later. From all the breast beating and corset tearing going on you'd think the death of EVE was coming. Can I have your stuff?
Reality check time people. A few observations:
1) WAIT FOR IT TO HIT SISI YOU IDIOTS. At this point in time there is so much F.U.D. floating around there's no way anyone can get a clear picture of how this will turn out.
2) The EVE mob's passions have been inflamed. This alone tells me things will turn out better than the doomsayers have predicted. The previous times we've had these levels of reaction have been: The "need for speed" adjustment (a.k.a. the nano nerf), The supercarrier nerf (that ended up being a boost). The ECM changes. The "go vote for us" incident (CCP refocuses on lag).
3) The truth of the matter is that for the true attack on lag CCP needs to work on distributing the physics engine of a solar system between multiple nodes. Until that technical hurdle is overcome, we won't see a true attack on lag past incremental improvements here and there. Incidentally the problems they need to resolve to accomplish this is NOT FRIGGEN TRIVIAL! The type of programmers that need to be thrown at this problem however are not the run of the mill programmer. They need to throw some eggheads of the programming world at this problem. Just throwing more bodies won't do it.
4) Growth pains. CCP is well on he way to becoming a larger developer. But they are no where near there yet. They also need to overcome their rapid growth pains. It looks like they are getting there but there is still a ways to go.
5) Think long term people. we will be at the 2003 level in terms of content once the next 2 releases of Incarna happen. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of scope. It took years of development for the space ship side of things to get where it is. Also CCP is THE ONLY major developer that does not charge extra for expansions. Sure you can bitch that they don't put out as much content as WoW does on each expansion but I'd like to point out: a) they don't charge you for the expansion and b) they are 1/10th the size of blizzard.
The above are the major reasons why I think the current hubaloo about a single feature of Incarna is much ado about nothing. Seriously, we're going to get a balcony view instead of an overhead view. We currently have a session change when we dock up, we'll have a session change after incarna comes out when we dock up. So long as you can do all your interaction from the balcony, not much except the decor will have changed as far as functionality goes. We'll see once it hits Sisi. Until then, everyone needs to take a chill pill.